Monday, August 1, 2011

Curlitude: Hair Products I'm loving right now

Over the past few months I have spent a lot of money and tried a lot high-end and low-end products.  I am still in the trail phase of creating my hair regimen. There have been a lot of hit and misses, but some of the products that I have tried are on the way to becoming staples.  I wanted to share some of my favorites with my fellow curlies out there.

For Conditioning...



Yes to Carrots Pampering Conditioner: I absolutely love this product. It leave's my hair feeling soft  and well moisturized. It has excellent slip which is great for detangling and co-washing. I also create my own leave-in conditioner by mixing...

-8 fl. oz. of  water
-1 teaspoon of jojoba oil
-approx. 2 teaspoons of olive oil
-1 tablespoons of Yes to Carrots Pampering Conditioner

It runs between $8.49-8.99 for a 500ml - 16.90 fl. oz. bottle and can be found at your local Target or purchased directly from the manufacturer at yestocarrots.com

For a list of ingredients CLICK HERE.

Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner by Organix: This is my number two. It gets that rating because it has more suspect ingredients (chemicals or man made ingredients) than Yes to Carrots Pampering Conditioner. It doesn't give me as much slip as Yes to Carrots, but it is great for creating a deep conditioning treatment for my hair, which I do about once a week.

To make a deep conditioning protien treatment I mix 
-3 tablespoons of Nourishing Coconut  Milk Conditioner
-1 egg
- appx. 1 table spoon of olive oil

I typically leave it in my hair about 15-20 minutes with a plastic cap, then shampoo and condition as normal and my hair feels fabulous.

A 13 fl oz  (384.5 ml) bottle runs between $5-7.99 and can be found at your local drugstore, Walmart, Target, Meijer or online through amazon.com.

Ingredients: Dl Water (- Aqua) , Cetyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium , Cetearyl Alcohol , Cetearyl Glucoside , Glyceryl Stearate , Glycerin , Cyclomethicone , Dimethicone , Jojoba Oil , Panthenol , Silk Amino Complex , Coconut Milk , Egg White Protein , Coconut Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate (- Vitamin E) , Tetrasodium EDTA , Fragrance , DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

For Shampooing...


Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap Dr. Brooners is definitely my go to product for hair, skin, and household cleaning.  The uses for this product is endless.  When I was younger it was a staple in our household for body care, I didn't know till a couple of months ago that it is great for hair.  It only takes a few drops and it has an excellent lather without  all of those harmful detergents.  A little bit of this product goes a long way, but you definitely want to be careful not to get it in your eyes because of the peppermint that is in it.  Rather you have a dandruff problem, or just need to get product build up out of your hair, this is definitely the product to use.  

An 8 oz. bottle runs between $5.99-7.99 and it can be found online at www.drbrooner.com, in Target's natural beauty section, or at any health/natural beauty store.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Organic Olive Oil*, Mentha Arvensis*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil*, Citric Acid, Tocopherol  * CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS  ** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin

Dr. Brooner has a host of other natural care lines to take care of the whole family and your home. Find out more by visiting http://www.drbronner.com/index.html 

For Hot Oil Treatments...
African Royale Hot Six Oil I was rummaging the limited selection of African American hair products at  Walmart one day, when I was surprised to find an old friend.  My mom was a kitchen beautician from time to time. Between visits to the salon, or somebodies basement, my mom went through the ritual of washing, conditioning, drying, and pressing my hair.  Among the Motions and Cream of Nature, there was African Royale's Hot Six Oil.  Organic and all natural hair products weren't trendy then, but who knew that something old would become my something new.

This product usually runs between $4-8 depending on where you pick it up. It was definitely a steal when I found a single bottle alone for $1.94, I couldn't resist.  Hot Six is power packed, with all your essential oils plus some.  It is great for hot oil treatments, but it can also be used as a body, scalp, nail, bath, or massage oil.  It's found in a limited number of Kmart and Walmart stores, many beauty supply stores, or purchased online.   It is definitely one of my go to product, and worth a try for any of you naturalista's out there.

Ingredients: Olive Oil , Canola Oil , Wheat Germ Oil , Sweet Almond Oil , Safflower Oil , Castor Oil , Sesame Oil , Vitamin E , Vitamin A , Vitamin D , Cyclomethicone , Sheep Sorrell , Yarrow , Slippery Elm Bark , Sage , Henna , Comfrey , Burdock Root , Ginseng , Goldenseal , Cherry Bark , Black Walnut , Chamomile , Alfalfa , Hyssop , Wheat Germ , Fragrance
 

Lisa's Hair Elixir by Carol's Daughter

This definitely is my number two, but that's only because of the price. Unlike African Royale's Hot Six, Lisa's Hair Elixer is alot lighter and is definitely a splurge at $20 for an 8 fl. oz. bottle and is a lot lighter

I purchased this product along with several other Carol's Daughter products in the Best Tressed Hair Set.  All the products worked fairly well and  I may review them in the future in between nap times, but Lisa's Hair Elixer was definitely my favorite out of the bunch. This product can be put in the hair as a pre-poo treatment, used for a hot oil treatment, or as a massage oil. 

Because of the price I only buy it every now and then, but when I have the money I definitely add it to my collection.  It adds shine to my hair and many of the essential oils that I need to protect my hair from damage.  

Ingredients: Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond Oil), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Fragrace (Parfum).   

These are just a few of my go-to products and I will definitely be adding and updating my reviews in the future.  

Check out these products for yourself...




No comments:

Post a Comment